You can also find my articles on my Google Scholar profile.
Peer Reviewed Journals and Conference Publications
- Matias, J. N., Mou, M. (2018) CivilServant: Community-Led Experiments in Platform Governance. In Proceedings of the Conference on Computer Human Interaction (CHI). ACM Press.
- Gaffney D., Matias J.N. (2018) Caveat Emptor, Computational Social Science: Large-scale missing data in a widely-published Reddit corpus. PLoS ONE 13(7): e0200162.
- Gantman, A., Gomila, R., Martinez, J.E., Matias, J.N., Paluck, E.L., Starck, J., Wu, S. &; Yaffe, N. (2018). A pragmatist philosophy of psychological science and its implications for replication: Commentary on Zwaan et al. Brain and Behavioral Sciences.
- Matias, J. N., Szalavitz, S., Zuckerman, E. (2017) FollowBias: Supporting Behavior Change Toward Gender Equality by Networked Gatekeepers on Social Media. In Proceedings of the ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work &; Social Computing. ACM Press. (2016) * Matias, J. N. The Civic Labor of Online Moderators. Oxford Internet, Policy, and Politics Conference. Oxford, UK.
- Matias, J. N. (2016) Going Dark: Social Factors In Collective Action Against Online Platforms in the Reddit Blackout. Proceedings of the Conference on Computer Human Interaction (CHI). ACM Press. Best Paper Honorable Mention
- Matias, J. N., Sayamindu Dasgupta, and Benjamin Mako Hill. (2016) Skill Progression in Scratch Revisited. Proceedings of the Conference on Computer Human Interaction (CHI). ACM Press.
- Spiro, E. S., Matias, J. N., &; Monroy-Hernández, (2016) A. Networks of Gratitude: Structures of Thanks and User Expectations in Workplace Appreciation Systems. Proceedings of the International AAAI Conference on Weblogs and Social Media.
- Matias, J. N., Johnson, A., Boesel, W. E., Keegan, B., Freedman, J., and DeTar, C. (2015) Reporting, reviewing, and responding to harassment on Twitter. Double-blind peer review chaired by Zeynep Tufekci. SSRN 2602018.
- Rzeszotarski, J. M., Spiro, E., Matias, J.N., Monroy-Hernández, A. (2014) Is anyone out there?: unpacking Q&;A hashtags on twitter. Proceedings of the annual ACM conference on Human factors in computing systems. ACM press.
- Matias, J. N., and Cheung, F. (2010) Emberlight: share and publish spatial hypertext to the web. Proceedings of the ACM conference on Hypertext and Hypermedia. ACM press. [short paper]
- Matias, J. N., and Williams, D.P. (2009) Comparing spatial hypertext collections. Proceedings of the ACM conference on Hypertext and Hypermedia. ACM press.
- Matias, J. N. (2005) Philadelphia fullerine: a case study in three-dimensional Hypermedia. Proceedings of the sixteenth ACM conference on Hypertext and Hypermedia. ACM press. (ACM Nelson Award) (best paper runner-up)
Workshop & Conference Publications
- Zong, J., Matias, J. N. (2018) Automated Debriefing: Interface for Large-Scale Research Ethics. Demo:ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work & Social Computing. ACM Press.
- Matias, J. N. (2018) Community-Led Platform Governance Experiments. The Conference on Digital Experimentation @ MIT.
- Matias, J. N. (2017) Authoritarian and Democratic Theories of Social Experimentation in 20th Century US Industry and Policymaking. Society for Social Studies of Science annual conference, Boston MA.
- Matias, J. N. (2017) Citizen Experiments in Moderation. CCCCCCCR Workshop, ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work & Social Computing
- Matias, J. N. (2016) The Cost of Solidarity: The Effect of Strike Participation on Community Participation in the reddit Blackout. The Conference on Digital Experimentation @ MIT.
- Matias, J.N. (2016) Evidence-Based Policy in Large-Scale Online Communities. What Works Global Summit. Campbell Collaboration, London, UK.
- Matias, J. N. (2016) Work In Progress: Mass Replication of Policy Evaluation Through Citizen-Led Randomized Trials (Poster). Data for Policy Conference, Cambridge, UK.
- Matias, J. Nathan (2016) Participatory Field Experiments and Causal Inference For Monitoring and Advancing Social Justice. CHI 2016 Workshop: Design, Social Justice, & HCI.
- Keegan, B. and Matias, J.N. (2016) Actually, It’s About Ethics in Computational Social Science: The Ethics of Causal Research Design in Community Governance. AAAI Spring Symp. on Observational Studies in Social Media 2016
- Matias, J. N. and Wallach, H. (2015) Working Paper: Modeling Gender Discrimination by Online News Audiences. Computation + Journalism Symposium, Columbia University.
- Matias, J. N., Diehl, S., and Zuckerman, E. (2015) Passing On: Reader-Sourcing Gender Diversity in Wikipedia. Proceedings of the 33rd Annual ACM Conference Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems. 2015
- Bavitz, C., Barabas, C., Matias, J. N., Xie, C., Xu, J. (2015) Legal and Ethical Issues In the Use of Telepresent Robots. WeRobot 2015 Conference on Legal and Policy Issues Relating to Robotics, Seattle WA.
- Graeff, Erhardt. J. Nathan Matias. (2015) Making Drones Civic: Values and Design Principles for Civic Technology. International Studies Association 2015.
- Matias, J. N., and Monroy-Hernandez, A. (2014) NewsPad: designing for collaborative storytelling in neighborhoods. CHI’14 Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems. ACM press.
- Matias, J. N., Agapie, E., D’Ignazio, C., and Graeff, E. (2014) Challenges for Personal Behavior Change Research on Information Diversity. Workshop on Personalized Behavior Change, at The 32nd ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI’14).
- Matias, J. N. and Geiger, S. (2014) Defining, Designing, and Evaluating Civic Activity in Collective Action Systems. Citizen-X workshop at The Second AAAI Conference on Human Computation and Crowdsourcing.
- Matias, J. N., Benesch, S., Earley, P., Gillespie, T., Keegan, B., Levy, N., Maher, E. (2015) Online Harassment Resource Guide. Wikimedia Meta-Wiki. Coordinated over 20 scholars to create an open access resource of online harassment research.
- Governing Humans and Machines in an Experimenting Society. (2017) PhD dissertation, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Networked Tactics for Gender Representation in the News. (2013) M.S. dissertation, MIT Media Lab
- Moral Choice in Interactive Fiction. (2008) B.A. Cantab dissertation, University of Cambridge
- Breakthrough African Novelists: Plaatje & Achebe. (2008) B.A. Cantab dissertation, University of Cambridge
- Philadelphia Fullerine. (2005) B.A. senior dissertation and interactive media installation, Elizabethtown College Honors Program